Changing Inside Out Now!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Changing Inside Out Now! Getting my body back - Day 25


Getting better by the day

Whenever you start off doing something new it may seem hard at first, but if you persevere, that same thing becomes easier as the days go by.

Many times we fail to attempt a new task because of fear. Fear that we may not be able to do it or trying and failing. Even if you've tried something and failed, and perhaps failed miserably, it doesn't mean that you should abandon the task altogether. It just means that you may need to do some more groundwork first in order to build up to that level.

For years I've been watching my 10 year old daughter do cartwheels and bridges and said that if I tried them I'd probably break something. But recently, while I was doing my workout, I decided that I'd try doing the bridge. It didn't work out for me. As a matter of fact I couldn't even lift myself off the floor. Yes, we had a good laugh.

Instead of me tossing the idea out and saying, "I knew I couldn't do it," then abandon the idea entirely, I looked at what kept me from completing the position. My hand muscles are not strong enough to push me up off the ground. The ground work that I need to engage in and have added to my daily routine is doing push ups to strengthen my hand muscles. Once I'm strong enough, I could now attempt to try the bridge at a later time.

One thing I've noticed though, is that I was able to complete, what my daughter calls, the stag sit position. When I first tried it, yesterday, I assumed the leg position but was unable to take my hands off the floor. Today, I tried the stag sit position again, and I was able to, not only take my hands off the floor, but lift them all the way up, stretching them upward towards the ceiling. This was quite an accomplishment for me.

As a matter of fact, I've had to increase my workout repetitions as they had become much easier. I've also added new routines to make me work harder.

Whatever new task you set out to achieve, don't allow its toughness to discourage you from moving forward. Take it one step at a time, do the groundwork and before you know it, you will be ready to take it to the next level.

Fuelling words: I'll master whatever groundwork is needed to reach my objective.

Routine: Warm-ups, stretches, aerobics, toning and strength exercises, cool down.

Visualization - keeping focus on my goal; healthy, strong and my ideal body weight and shape.

Deep breathing - relaxes the muscles and sends oxygen to the muscles where exercising alone would not reach.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Insights