Changing Inside Out Now!

Thursday, September 24, 2009

If at first you don't succeed, keep trying 'til you do!


Getting my body back - Day 135

One of my 14-Day Body Sculpting Workout routine involves dumbbell lunges - an exercise move where you step forward with the right foot, bend the knee and lower your body, then you switch to the other side. I don't particularly like this exercise, I've always kind of skipped it in the past and now it's back to confront me again. I find the movement a bit uncomfortable and strenuous. At first, I was about to just skip it, then I thought, you know what, if I don't try it and keep practicing it how will I perfect it? So I decided that even if it was 3 or 4 reps that I did, it would be better than none and if I kept it up I could increase the reps, perfect the move and strengthen my legs.

Many times we don't give things a fair chance for various reasons. Mine was because the move felt awkward and I couldn't get it right. Others may have reasons because of fears, but whatever it is, we need to confront our issues, and look it straight in the face and do the very best we can do, until we get it right.

When we start anything new we may feel a bit wobbly, like when we're riding a bicycle, but as long as we know the correct form, the right way to do what we're doing, and we keep practicing, we get better. If at first you don't succeed, keep trying 'til you do. With determination and persistence, we can achieve anything we set out to do and it would be worth it when we reach the finish line.

Years ago when I first started working in the insurance industry as a secretary I was being trained as a dicta typist. I had to figure out what the adjuster was saying on the tapes and at the same time try to type what was being said. The typing part was okay, but I had a difficult time understanding what was said. Many times I had to ask my trainer to help me which sometimes made me feel like I was being a bother.

My first week was awful. But I persevered and worked really hard until I had perfected it. This later on became second nature to me. As a matter of fact, I became a trainer, as well, and was branded the name, years later at another insurance company, lightning fingers. This skill paved the way for me to get this job opening at the other company because when I went for the interview and they tested me and the person that did the testing reported to the boss that I was very fast - I found that out after I got the job.

When we couple persistence and determination, we could go places and reach heights we may not have initially thought of as being possible, and doors open up in ways that we were not able to see when we first start out.

Fuelling words: I am persistent and determined to master whatever goal I set out to achieve.

Workout: walking, jogging, step exercise, weight training

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Insights