Changing Inside Out Now!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Getting my body back Friday - Take a deep breath or two!


How does deep breathing help you maximize your workout?

Are you deep breathing when you exercise? What are the benefits of deep breathing?

Deep breathing relaxes the body and removes the resistance to receiving oxygen to the body cells. Now, I'm not talking about the shallow chest breathing habit that we've gotten used to. What I'm talking about is breathing where the breath goes down deep into the abdomen and the abdomen and ribcage expand and contract.

When you're deep breathing, oxygen goes to the muscles allowing you to be able to do more reps especially when you're weight lifting.

When I'm jogging I find that I need more oxygen intake than when I'm walking. I find myself feeling out of breath faster even though I'm breathing in through my nose. So, to solve this problem, I take alternate breaths; two deep breaths in through the nose and let it out, then deep breaths through the mouth and let it out.

Make sure you're feeling this in your stomach as you breathe out. Since I started doing that, I found that I have more energy; I could jog faster and longer. That's amazing for me. I actually have to make myself stop cause I feel so energized.

Another thing, I try to keep a rhythm when I'm jogging - deep breathe in, deep breath out, deep breath in, deep breath out. You got the idea, plus it adds some fun to it and keeps you focused.

Today I challenged myself for one more round but felt at the time that I didn't have the energy to make it. Instead of giving in to my body, I went deep within, took some deep breaths and got the energy I needed to finish the last lap.

What about you? Do you deep breathe when you're exercising? How is it working for you?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Alicia...I usually do not deep breathe while excercising but will try to be more cognizant of it from now on. Thanks for your post. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan and you're welcome. My husband always talks about deep breathing which he learned from being a Karate instructor years ago. And it really makes a big different in the work out. Especially when I feel I can't go on any more. I good deep breath gives the extra boost.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Daily Insights