Changing Inside Out Now!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

How to build stamina for long term goals


Getting my body back - Day 138


For any long-term goal, you need to build stamina to keep you motivated and moving toward the finish line. It`s easy when you just start out. You`re full of life and energy but after a while many give up when they either don`t see the results they expected or lose motivation. It`s easy to become discouraged when this happens. We need to look at ways in which we could build stamina for the long haul.

3 Ways to build stamina

1. Regular Visualization


Regular visualization keeps you focused on the end results - on your goal. When you keep the flame of your inner desire burning you get the boost needed to go the extra mile.

As I focus on my ideal weight and size, I`m rejuvenated with zeal to keep working out even when my body wants to stop. Your stamina is built first in the mind and then your body follows. As long as your mind is focused on your target your subconscious will find a way to keep your body moving. Your mind has an amazing way of getting the body to go where it doesn`t feel like going. Besides, if you gave up now, you`d never reach your goal but if you keep moving you will get there even if you took baby steps. Consistent baby steps are even better than no steps at all.

2. It`s not a sprint, it`s a marathon

You wouldn`t run a marathon with the speed intended for a sprint. You have to pace yourself and run at a consistent speed in order to conserve energy to reach the finish line. An athlete that tries to run a marathon with the speed of a sprint will soon be left behind by his competitors. Similarly, consistent regular activity builds momentum that will propel you closer to your goal and conserves your energy to keep you going.

3. Start from where you are

When you begin at the level you`re at, you can build from there. However, if you try to begin at an advanced level, you will soon become discouraged because you may not yet be able to do at this early stage what others have been doing for a long time.

When I first began working out years ago, I started at the level I felt comfortable. You see, I`ve gone to the gym in the past and tried to keep up with everyone else, which was quite challenging, and before long I became very discouraged and that was the end of my gym membership. So, I decided that this time I`ll be doing it on my own schedule, at my own pace and my own amount of reps.

My routine at the time only consisted of stretching exercises until my mind was ready for the next level. Before long, my body was calling for more than just stretches and I added variety. I felt the strong urge to go walking and I followed through with that. From there I was ready to go jogging. I jogged a little, then I walked some, then I jogged again, then I walked some more until I was able to jog all the way - quite an amazing accomplishment for me.

Take small bite-size activity until you can go to the next level easily as you build momentum and stamina to reach your goal.

Fuelling words: I take it one step at a time building momentum and stamina until I reach my goal.


Workout - walking, step exercise, weight training


No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Insights